Mostly technical stuff with some interesting moments of life

Avoid Comcast DNS Hijacking in Ubuntu

No comments
Recently I switched to Comcast from AT&T because of an interesting deal on internet. Today I was on my Ubuntu machine in a different network and ran into the issue of not being able to connect to internet. After doing bit of looking into I figured that DNS is not working properly. I was getting a reply that had "" when I tried to do a host lookup (e.g. host -a

Then when I opened the /etc/resolv.conf I found that Comcast has inserted its nameservers into that and after removing those entries and setting the nameserver to Google's I was able to connect and browse as usual.

Hope this helps someone in a similar situation!

No comments :

Post a Comment